Muslim calendar for 2013
Thursday 24 January
- Milad un Nabi (Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad)
- Shia Muslims celebrate this 5 days later. Some Muslims do not approve of celebrating the birthday, and regard doing so as a religious innovation.
Tuesday 29 January
- Milad un Nabi (Shia)
- Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad. Sunni Muslims celebrate this 5 days earlier. Some Muslims do not approve of celebrating the birthday, and regard doing so as a religious innovation.
Tuesday 9 July
- Ramadan (start)
- Ramadan is the Muslim month of fasting.
Thursday 8 August
- The end of Ramadan when Muslims celebrate the end of fasting and thank Allah for His help with their month-long act of self-control.
Tuesday 15 October
- Festival of Sacrifice marking the day after Arafat. The Day of Arafat is the most important day in the Hajj ritual. This is a four day holiday
Monday 4 November
- Islamic New Year. Marks the migration of the Prophet Mohammad and his followers from Mecca to Medina
Wednesday 13 November
- Islamic holy day observed on the 10th of the Islamic month of Muharram